CTA provides a wide range of theatre arts education, including:
- Audition workshops, including the basics of how to audition and how to get noticed by the production team.
- Workshops with multiple sessions in both fall and winter sessions, held weekly over 8 to 12 weeks period focusing on development of the total performer and ending with a performance for family, friends, and the general public.
- Special masterclasses are presented periodically with highly regarded professionals in different areas of the theatre arts.
- “Behind the Scenes” training is presented to all production participants and walks them through all the aspects of the physical theatre.
These programs give each participant the opportunity to learn the basics of theatre, expand their imagination, develop voice, dance and performance techniques, and much more. All training, workshops and camps are aimed to specific age and skill groups.
BEHIND THE SCENES WORKSHOPS Ages: 10 – 18
Behind the Scenes workshops are a great way to discover modern theatre practice, helping you learn about all the aspects of theatre that take place behind the scenes! Tuition is $60.00 for each session or register for 3 or more sessions and get a 10% discount (enter code BTS2017 at check out). This Fall we’re offering workshops in the following areas:
This demonstration workshop covers the basics of stage make-up including:
- The design process including style, genre and recording techniques
- Application technique for stage and film
- Demonstrations of different ‘looks’ on students inspired by current productions
AGES: 10 – 18
WHEN: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.; Saturday, October 21, 2017
TUITION: $60.00 (with current CTA Membership) Click here to register for the BTS – Make-Up workshop.
TEACHING ARTIST: Kathy Garrity
Ever wondered how a show comes together each night? Participants will explore the many elements of stage management. Our teaching artist (an experienced Stage Manager) will talk about the role of a stage manager in a production and share the best practices as well as stories from their experiences.
AGES: 10 – 18
WHEN: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.; Saturday, November 4, 2017
TUITION: $60.00 (with current CTA Membership) Click here to register for the BTS – Stage Management workshop.
TEACHING ARTIST: Holly Baca
BROADWAY KIDS Ages: 5 – 9
Join us as we sing and dance our way through the bright lights of Broadway! In this fun & entertaining class students will learn songs, light movement, and work on craft projects inspired by a collection of Broadway musicals. Whether they’re a newbie to theatre or an experienced performer, we’ve got an agenda of fun scheduled for all levels.
Students must dress appropriately for movement. Shoes should be either dance shoes or sneakers secured with laces or velcro. No open-toe shoes, flip-flops, sandals, or crocs. Bring a water bottle.
AGES: 5 – 9
WHEN: 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.; Saturdays, October 28, November 4, 11, 18, 2017 (4 classes)
TUITION: $160.00 Click here to register for Broadway Kids.
TEACHING ARTIST: Michelle Harmon Bruno is a WATCH nominated director and actress. She has performed and directed in the DMV area for the last 10 years. CTA credits include: CTA Harmonix (Teaching Artist), Musical Theatre Audition Workshop (Teaching Artist), Bugsy Malone, Jr.(Music Director), Sleeping Beauty (Director), James & the Giant Peach, Jr. (Music Director), Disney’s Beauty & the Beast 2018 (Director). Click here for more information on Michelle.
Musical Theatre Audition Workshop Ages: 8 – 14
Are you auditioning for our upcoming production of Madagascar, Jr.? Whether you’re brushing up on your auditioning skills or auditioning for the first time…this is a great workshop to take!
There are three parts to this workshop…acting, singing, and a mock audition. Small groups will receive instruction in acting and singing + practice with each teaching artist. Next the students will be put through a mock audition where they’ll receive feedback to prepare them for the real thing.
- ACTING – Students will work on warm-ups, cold reading, character development, slating, projection, and more.
- SINGING – Students must bring 2 audition song selections (digital recording of accompaniment music only + sheet music preferred). They will work on warm-ups, performance of the vocal selections, projection, slating, and more.
- MOCK AUDITION – During the last 30 minutes of this workshop students will go through a mock audition. This will give them the experience of a real audition and after they will receive feedback from both teaching artists.
AGES: 8 – 14
WHEN: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.; Saturday, November 18, 2017
TUITION: $75.00 (w/ current CTA Membership) Click here to register for this Audition Workshop.
TEACHING ARTISTS: José de la Mar (acting) and Laura Mueller (singing) Click here to learn more about them.
Broadway Connection Master Class AGES: 8 – 18 // LEVEL: Beg. – Int.
Children’s Theatre of Annapolis & Broadway Connection (BC) are bringing Broadway to you! Join us for an exciting & inspiring Master Class taught by BC teachers & current performers from the national tour of The Lion King. This Musical Theatre Production Master Class focuses on: dancing, singing, & acting for the stage. During BC Master Classes, students learn to stand out in front of directors, choreographers, & professors when auditioning for top universities or the Broadway role of their dreams. Each class ends with a Q & A where students ask questions & receive detailed advice on education, auditions, Broadway shows, + more. Whether polishing dance technique or perfecting triple threat skills, students leave their BC class completely inspired, energized, & focused to continue training hard & reach new heights!
AGES: 8 – 18
LEVEL: Beginner – Intermediate
WHEN: 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.; Saturday, December 9, 2017
TUITION: $80.00 (w/ current CTA Membership) Click here to register for this BC Master Class.
TEACHING ARTISTS: A Broadway Connection teaching artist from the national tour of The Lion King. Click here to learn more about Broadway Connection.
CLASSES IN PROGRESS
MUSICAL THEATRE PRODUCTION WORKSHOPS AGES: 7 – 11
SESSION 1: 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.; Mondays, 09/25 – 12/18/2017. Performance: 5:00 p.m.; 12/18/2017
SESSION 2: 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.; Wednesdays, 09/20 – 12/20/2017. Performance: 5:00 p.m.; 12/20/2017
SESSION 3: 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.; Wednesdays, 09/20 – 12/20/2017. Performance: 7:00 p.m.; 12/20/2017
THEATRE PRODUCTION WORKSHOPS (non-musical) AGES: 7 – 15
WHEN: 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.; Thursdays, 09/21 – 11/30/2017 (No class on 11/23). Performance: 5:00 p.m.; 12/02/2017
WHEN: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.; Tuesdays, 09/19 – 11/28/2017. (No class on 10/31.) Performance: 3:00 p.m.; 12/02/2017
Basics of Acting Ages: 10 – 18
WHEN: 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.; Saturdays, September 30 – October 21, 2017 (4 classes)
MORE WORKSHOPS COMING SOON!
The Fine Print
Registration is required for all workshops and students must be a CTA member to participate. Memberships are $10 for an individual, $20 for a family. Click here to register online.
Students are required wear comfortable clothes and sneakers or closed toe shoes (no Crocs, sandals, flip-flops or skirts for the ladies.) Students are not allowed to bring cell phones, toys, games or other electronic devices. A telephone is available for emergency use.
All workshops are located at CTA’s theater complex in Bay Head Park, 1661 Bay Head Road, Annapolis 21409. For more information email our Education Team at email@example.com or call us at 410-757-2281 (ext. 4).
- Minimum of 3 weeks prior to camp: Full refund minus the membership fee.
- 2 weeks prior to camp: Refund minus $75 registration fee and membership fee.
- First day of camp or later: No refund
Inclement Weather Policy: Workshops follow the Anne Arundel County School closings. If schools are closed or afternoon and evening activities are cancelled, the workshop is cancelled for the day. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns.
Sign In/Out Policy: Please know that the purpose of all this is for your student’s safety and well-being. Thank you for your cooperation and for helping our program run smoothly!
- Students, including teens, must be checked in and out by a responsible adult. Please sign your student into their class and say hi to the teacher or supervising adult. This will help us to know who you are!
- If you will be more than 5 minutes late picking up your student, please call the Instructor or our office at 410-757-2281 to let us know.
- Please notify the teacher if another adult has your permission to pick up your student that day. Parents must understand that once their student is signed out, they are no longer the responsibility of Children’s Theatre of Annapolis.